Emily Smith, WG’17
Ruchi Banka, WG’17
Jake Kramer, WG’17
Dan Norelli, WG’17
Matt Panas, WG’17
Trang Pham, WG’18
elevator pitch: Splaced is an innovative, online marketplace – the Airbnb of commercial space. We connect guests who need affordable, hourly, and on-demand spaces with hosting businesses who have unique but underutilized spaces.
Where did the idea for your venture come from?
The idea for our venture came from Emily’s experiences as a Wharton student searching for a quiet, inspiring work spaces. Often, the available spaces were busy, noisy coffee shops or very expensive spaces catering to large groups. At the same time, from her work in the commercial real estate industry, Emily encountered many businesses whose high-rent spaces were unused for most of the business day. She recognized the opportunity for businesses to meet peoples’ space needs while recovering and monetizing the high cost of the business’ idle spaces.
How will your venture change the world?
Our venture will change the world by making more unique spaces available to the average person for living, working and collaborating. It will make the commercial real estate market more efficient and truly address pain points – affordable, hourly spaces for guests and maximum profitability for hosts.
- Emily Smith is an encyclopedia of knowledge, who informed her parents when she was five years old that she wanted to work in real estate.
- Ruchi Banka loves air activities. When she’s not serving as the calm negotiator that her “middle child” personality entails, Ruchi is out skydiving and hot air ballooning. Heads up!
- Jake Kramer served in the U.S. Army. During his Army service, he was on their mixed martial arts (MMA) team, representing Colorado in the all-Army MMA tournament.
- Dan Norelli loves beaches. On days when he’s not suited up as the director of financial planning and analysis at Trinity Real Estate, he is bumming out, we mean touristing, in charming Montauk, New York.
- Matt Panas is an ardent admirer of the Oxford comma. It’s a small but significant aspect of his thorough, methodical thinking – a characteristic that he brings to analyzing people and problems.
- Trang Pham is an avid mountain climber, who has scaled major summits in America, Europe, and Africa. Her fear of heights hasn’t stopped her from looking out at 20,000 feet above sea level.
Come to the Startup Showcase to see the best student entrepreneurs from across Penn demo their companies and compete for cash and prizes to launch their startups!